cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trunk , access link

aksher
Level 1
Level 1

will a trunk link switch go down if the mode of an interface on the switch is changed to access link

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Normally changing a particular link from trunk to access mode will not have impact on other links. However, there might be scenario's where this is not true, for example:

1: the access-port causes a spanning-tree loop or a topology change (trunk removed). In a redundant network, this is not unlikely.

2: a network with vtp pruning active and a pruned vlan becoming active on the switch as a result.

You might be able to think of a similar scenario which is valid for your network.

Regards,

Leo

but how can a switch go down

I'm sorry but I did not quite get that from your question. The answer is: it won't.

For the scenario with the spanning tree loop, I would say almost erverything is possible although I have never experienced it myself.

The only other reason for this kind of thing to happen is buggy software.

I understand that you have actually experienced a situation where you assumed that the switch went down as a result from you changing a port? It will be pretty hard to determine the exact cause. We have far too little information and you seem to prefer posting oneliners, so that will take a while;-)

Regards,

Leo