Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk connectivity problem between 6500 switches

jig_patel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a setup where 6509 switch of Head office is connected to another 6506 switch in Branch office via RF link.

We have VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40 and 61 in HO. This branch office is an extension of the LAN in HO and has VLAN 30 and VLAN 61. This setup is working absolutely fine.

We planned to have a backup for this RF link. The service provider has given a G703 connectivity across these 2 locations. This G703 connection is terminated on RAD's HTU-E1 modem which has a G703 interface on one end and the other interface is connected directly to the 6500 switch.

When we disable the RF link and try to check the connectivity across this link then we have the following observations..

1) When we configure the port as a part of VLAN 30, then users in the branch office are able to access all the servers and other vlans in HO properly.

2) When we configure the port as a part of VLAN 61, then users in the branch office are able to access all the servers and other vlans in HO properly.

3) But when we configure this port as a trunk port, then only ping traffic goes across. No other traffic link DNS request, login authentication and so on goes across except ping.

Can any one advice me what could be the problem and any work arounds if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Jignesh

2 Replies 2

jolaaves
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jignesh,

I don't have quite all the info here for a definate solution, however you say that PINGS are going across, but other traffic does not. Now ping will only verify layer 3 on down is up an running. Ping will not verify layer 4 - 7 is working.

So knowing that, what I would do is trace layer 4 when the trunk is up, and see what the conversations look like, and I bet that will point to where the problem is.

John Olavesen

Cisco Systems

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

This problem has been resolved.

There was problem related to trunking. This has started working when configure "no negotiate" on the switch port.

Regards

Jignesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: