Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Trunk problem

I have CAt4006 and CAT2950 trunk on FastEthernet,I'm using dot1q, everything seems running but I can't ping the management IP of CAT2950. when i do show cdp neigh in each device, i see the neighbors and trunk is up also but i can't ping management IP of 4000 from 2950 or vise versa.

Any advice?

4 REPLIES

Re: Trunk problem

Could be several things, from the devices not being on the same subnet, native vlan mismatches, trunking not set up quite right... Anything in the logfiles?

Any chance we can see the config's of the switches (without every port) and maybe the CDP detailed output?

hi Craig

Thanks, that pointed me to the right direction, both switches were on different vlans, once configured for same vlan it work. Thanks.

But why would it work with the correct setting, like i said it was working and only thing i couldn't do is ping and telne to the device but the device was fully operational.

The management of the device really has nothing to do with its functionality on the network, which is a nice thing. You can have your management settings completely messed up, but the actual work the switch is supposed to do will still work if you haven't screwed that up too.

One way to think about it is that the management portion of a switch is like a separate unit from the switch. Even though the switch is configured correctly (ie: the ethernet ports), its management side is a separate device that is hooked into the network. You can have that component configured wrong, even though the rest of it is correct...

Thanks Craig

That realy explains.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content