Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Trunking 2924XL's and a 2950

I know you must be getting tired of trunking but here goes. I have multiple 2924XL's connected using ISL trunking. 1 to 2, 2, to 3 and so on.

Now, I throw a 2950 in to the mix. If I understand correctly, the 2950 does not use ISL trunking. Ok, so, on my last 2924, port 23 is connected to the above 2924 using ISL. Can I connect port 24 on the 2924 to port 25 on the 2950 with dot1q? Do just enable dot1q on both port and all is well?

Thanks for you help.

2 REPLIES

Re: Trunking 2924XL's and a 2950

Hi. Enabling dot1q on both ports should work. However there are some limitations on dot1q. I copy and paste the txt below from the switch documentation..Hope this helps

IEEE 802.1Q Configuration Considerations

IEEE 802.1Q trunks impose some limitations on the trunking strategy for a network. The following restrictions apply when using 802.1Q trunks:

Make sure the native VLAN for an 802.1Q trunk is the same on both ends of the trunk link. If the native VLAN on one end of the trunk is different from the native VLAN on the other end, spanning-tree loops might result.

Disabling STP on the native VLAN of an 802.1Q trunk without disabling STP on every VLAN in the network can potentially cause STP loops. We recommend that you leave STP enabled on the native VLAN of an 802.1Q trunk or disable STP on every VLAN in the network. Make sure your network is loop-free before disabling STP.

Re: Trunking 2924XL's and a 2950

Thanks for the info. I enabled dot1q on the 2924 and enabled trunking on the 2950. Everything is working great.

Views
Helpful
Replies