Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Trunking ports to non-cisco switches

I'd appreciate if anybody could tell me their experiences configuring 802.1q trunking with other non-cisco switches, specifically extreme summit's, these are 4003's and summit48, any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Trunking ports to non-cisco switches

Configure the Cisco port that is connecting with the non-cisco to be a trunk port, make sure that its native vlan is 1 (discouraged, but needed sometimes with other vendors.)

The native VLAN is a untagged dot1q VLAN (frames sent/received without 802.1q headers). Some switches let you tag all VLANs (extreme does, and most cisco switches with newer code do). If you use this feature then there isn't really a native VLAN anymore as all traffic is tagged with a VLAN header, but the VLAN number / id's have to match up on connecting switches. Names don't matter.

On the summit, you configure tagged and untagged ports like below.

configure vlan "Default" tag 1

configure vlan "Default" add port 49 untagged

configure vlan "Default" add port 50 untagged

configure vlan "other" tag 10

configure vlan "other" add port 49 tagged

configure vlan "other" add port 50 tagged

Default VLAN is Vlan 1, tagged VLAN is 10.

Port 49 and 50 are untagged (native in cisco speak) for VLAN 1 and tagged for VLAN 10.

Community Member

Thanks a lot for your help! So the trunk ports (i.e. GB uplinks to cisco core switch) in the summit would need to be tagged for all Vlans (using same number as in cisco switch) to enable vlan traffic to traverse the trunk links?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content