Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

tuning of bgp dampening

Hi,

If someone knows what are the parameters normally used in bgp dampening for a perfect work.

I thought that they can be:

half-life: 10 minutes

reuse: 750

suppress-value:2000

max-suppress-time: 40 minutes

Are those correct or I have to review all?

Thank you.

Regards.

Paolo

4 REPLIES

Re: tuning of bgp dampening

Hello Paolo,

This parameters will depend on your network and how frequently you see the flappings.

There are some default values though:

half-life-time

Defines the amount of time in minutes after which a penalty is reduced by half. Valid values are 10 - 45 minutes. Default: 15 minutes.

reuse-value

Defines the accumulated penalty amount at which the route is re-advertised. Valid values are 500 - 20000.

Default: 750.

suppress-value

Defines the accumulated penalty amount at which the route is suppressed. Valid values are 500 - 20000.

Default: 2000.

maximum-suppress-time

Defines the maximum time in minutes that a route is suppressed. Valid values are 1 - 90.

Default: 60 or 4 times the value of half-life time.

You''ll need to take a better look on the routes you are tracking and tune the values.

Check the following link for such a study:

http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.ripe.net/presentations/ripe-m25-tbarber-bgp-damp.html

HTH,

please remember to rate helpful posts.

Vlad

Hi,

I would like to know how to protect important routes from dampening.

If I put into a route map a match with an access-list that permit a default route and after this I create a bgp dampening rule.

I would like to know if this works (don't dampen the dafault route).

Thank you

regards.

Paolo

NANOG doesn't really recommend dampening anymore.

Same with RIPE:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-378.html

If this is for a test, go ahead, but if this is operational, I would find an operators group or other suitable reference.

Most of the email/news group feeds that encourage route dampening are from the 90s and have been superceded by the current recommendations.

Good point from Andrew.

I usually only give straight tech advises, about what is asked.

In this case, I would answer, yes, you can specify specifics routes on the route-map to dampening the routes you want.

Vlad

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content