cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tunneling a serial stream

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

I have an application where I need to transport a serial stream (T1-rate: V.35 serial or T1 after a DSU/CSU) between a pair of routers. The serial stream is the output of a serial link encrypter (KIV-7) (which is connected to a router serial interface). I can not use an inline network encrypter (like a KG-175 or KG-235). So the path is:

LAN > router > serial > KIV-7 > serial > router > LAN/WAN > router > serial > KIV-7 > serial > router > LAN

This works fine if the "router > LAN/WAN > router" portion is replaced by "DSU/CSU > P-to-P T1 > DSU/CSU".

Is there a way to tunnel this serial stream between the serial interfaces on a pair of routers?

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

GRE might do it. you define a tunnel source interface and a tunnel destination IP address and let her go.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087da4.html

I think GRE can only handle data which is already in packets. I also thought about STUN but that seems specific to SNA.

I did find a couple of non-Cisco products that appear to do what I need: Engage IP Tube and RAD IPmux-1. Both take a serial input (T1, E1, and RS530/V.35 for the Engage) and packetize it into IP. But I don't see a way to do this with a Cisco solution.

Wondering how this worked out with you.  I'm having to work with some ip tubes in the near future.  

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: