cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tunneling a serial stream

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

I have an application where I need to transport a serial stream (T1-rate: V.35 serial or T1 after a DSU/CSU) between a pair of routers. The serial stream is the output of a serial link encrypter (KIV-7) (which is connected to a router serial interface). I can not use an inline network encrypter (like a KG-175 or KG-235). So the path is:

LAN > router > serial > KIV-7 > serial > router > LAN/WAN > router > serial > KIV-7 > serial > router > LAN

This works fine if the "router > LAN/WAN > router" portion is replaced by "DSU/CSU > P-to-P T1 > DSU/CSU".

Is there a way to tunnel this serial stream between the serial interfaces on a pair of routers?

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

GRE might do it. you define a tunnel source interface and a tunnel destination IP address and let her go.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087da4.html

I think GRE can only handle data which is already in packets. I also thought about STUN but that seems specific to SNA.

I did find a couple of non-Cisco products that appear to do what I need: Engage IP Tube and RAD IPmux-1. Both take a serial input (T1, E1, and RS530/V.35 for the Engage) and packetize it into IP. But I don't see a way to do this with a Cisco solution.

Wondering how this worked out with you.  I'm having to work with some ip tubes in the near future.  

Ken