cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunneling Framerelay over Ethernet

mahmoud.sohrabi
Level 1
Level 1

We have an office connected to a frame relay connection and a Nuera machine and now we want to move that machine to a new location but we can't move the fram relay connection. We have an ethernet connection between this two locations and two Cisco routers. Is it possible to tunnel that frame relay link in the first office to have it in the second office?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

jahil
Level 1
Level 1

To me there is no need of tunneling, as if you have a ethernet connection beetween both offices. You can just move the machine to your next LAN sagment and it should work, assuming that your traffic gateway is your Frame-Relay Router.

If this is not the case then further explaination of network is required!

doug.lockwood
Level 1
Level 1

While I want to look up the specifics, I think the answer is yes.

The Idea is the Cisco routers can act as frame relay switches. Between routers acting as frame switches, tunneling DLCI's over Ethernet is possible.

I'll do my homework and post the specifics later today.

Regards;

Doug

Thanks... That's what I'm looking for... I'd wait for it.

doug.lockwood
Level 1
Level 1

I found a section in the manual on line.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_c/wcdfrely.htm#xtocid22185103

Here is one side.

Configuration for Router A

frame-relay switching

!

interface ethernet0

ip address 108.131.123.231 255.255.255.0

!

interface ethernet1

ip address 131.108.5.231 255.255.255.0

!

interface serial0

no ip address

shutdown : Interfaces not in use may be shut down; shutdown is not required.

!

interface serial1

ip address 131.108.222.231 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

frame-relay map ip 131.108.222.4 400 broadcast

frame-relay route 100 interface Tunnel1 200

!

interface tunnel1

tunnel source Ethernet0

tunnel destination 150.150.150.123

Keys for me are the Following:

Frame-relay switching

GRE Tunnel

frame-relay route dlci int x dlci

Regards;

Doug

I've actually implemented this type of solution over a network in the past, so it does work.

Just make sure you get the right IOS version. I think even into 12.1 there's some releases that will only route the FR over physical interfaces and can't work with a tunnel interface.

Just as a side note, you don't need the ip address or the FR map statement on the S1 interface in your example. Just enough to have the FR route command and the tunnel interface up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: