cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Cisco 2950's cannot ping or telnet

ARCMIS
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2950 switches in which I cannot ping or telnet to. They are both up and running and providing communication, but still no remote access.

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Are you able to console into one of the switches and then ping or telnet to other one ? Telnet is not by default enabled unless your configs look like,

line vty 0 4

login

password

Telnet also requires that an enable password be set.

As far as IP connectivity in both switches, how does their config look like. Is it possible for you to paste running configs off the switches in your next post.

Also how are they connected (ethernet back to back usng xover cable, or a fiber optic xover cable through a gbic) ? I am sure that you have a link light on either ports (since you say it does provide communication / up / running)

HTH

PS: Please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your response!!

Telnet is enabled on the switch. I had been able to successfully login through this way before this problem occured. If I were to power down the switches and power them back up, the problems go way. I can then ping and telnet into both switches.

This problem is sporadic, the switches will be fine for several weeks, but then the problem occurs again. The switches continue to provide communications, but I cannot ping or telnet into.

The switches are connected via GBIC, GigaStack modules.

Thank you.

Please can you specify the IOS version that these switches are running?

In case the image is old (12.1(14) or earlier), there is a chance that you are hitting a bug. (no bug id, sorry)

Upgrading to the latest version will most likely solve this.

Regards,

Leo

Thank you for your response!!

IOS ver. 12.1(6) EA2

Can these IOS upgrades be obtained at no cost? If so where do I retrieve these upgrades?

Thank you.

shanky,

The configs are attached.

Thank you in advance.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What ip addresses are assigned to the switch ??? Is that the whole network just the 2950"s . If you assigned an ip address to each and you put the telnet passwords and the enable secret passwords you should be able to get in . Is your pc ip address in the same ip range as the switch address ???

felipe_alfaro
Level 1
Level 1

Did you assign an IP address to the Management VLAN (usually VLAN1)? Did you bring the VLAN interface up?

> enable

# config terminal

# interface vlan 1

# ip address a.b.c.d n.n.n.n.n

# no shutdown

Please, rate this post :-)