cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two etherswitch service module in same chassis

smonteagudo
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect two NME-X-23ES-!G in the same chassis (Cisco 3845) and i have the following troubleshooting:

1.- The numbers of the ports of both cards are identical. They are 1/0/2 to 1/0/24 for both modules. It would not have to change the first number depending on in which slot is inserted the card?

2.- How I can configure the router for being able to arrive at both modules with the same VLAN. If I configure Etherchannel I cannot configure a IP address for the interface g1/0 or g2/0. If I do not have IP address I cannot make a session to switch module.

3.- If I use the connect command I cannot use slot number 1 of routers because it leaves a message which not this supported. What I can do for being able to use it?

1 Reply 1

Hello,

I think you need to configure stacking for both modules, here is what CCO says:

Configuring Stacking

Stacking is the connection of two switch modules resident in the same chassis so that they behave as a single switch. When a chassis is populated with two switch modules, the user must configure both of them to operate in stacked mode. This is done by selecting one port from each switch module and configuring it to be a stacking partner. The user must then connect with a cable the stacking partners from each switch module to physically stack the switch modules. Any one port in a switch module can be designated as the stacking partner for that switch module.

Beginning in privileged EXEC mode, follow these steps to configure a pair of ports on two different switch modules as stacking partners.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. interface fastethernet interface-id

2. no shutdown

3. switchport stacking-partner interface FastEthernet partner-interface-id

4. exit

5. interface fastethernet partner-interface-id

6. no shutdown

7. end

HTH,

GP