Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Two OSPF process

Hi,

I have heard seens in so many documents that it is not recommended to run 2 OSPF process in the same router. Even though this statement may be true in old days when we have less power ful router.

Now it seems like it is not a restriction any more .. Is it true ? Could you explain or point me to any good document which can outline major issue regarding 2 process in the same router.

Also, I am using OSPF distance parameter to influence my route selection process and it seems to be working fine . but I was also thinking to use ospf cost paramter instead of distance parameter. What is the major differnce b/w these two parameters. Since they both do the same job.

Any help will be appreciated.

javed

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Two OSPF process

The recommendation on running 2 OSPF processes on the same router is based entirely on performance given the high CPU overhead of running the SPF algorithm. So it is true, if you are prepared to dedicate a sufficiently powerful CPU to computing OSPF routes at th expense of actual data throughput, then you can run multiple OSPF processes.

You can achieve the same end results withe the cost and distance options, but they work in different ways.

The cost parameter is more granular. By applying it at the specific interface level, you can control individual route choices, whereas the distance parameter can only be applied to all the routes in a particular area or routing domain.

Re: Two OSPF process

Hi,

Thank you very much for your quick response, Currently we are using RSP/4 on our core routers, based on the information you have provided I am thinking about RSP/8 so we can have enough CPU power on our routers. U think it will do any good ?

javed

Views
Helpful
Replies