Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Two Problems

Hello all,

I am having two problems with my network.

1) Specifically, I cannot connect to my network printer. I cannot even see the printer my network directory. Any suggestions?

2) I brought my laptop in my office and plugged the network cable in and it wouldn't let me go online. Do I need to give my laptop an unused IP address from the availabe IP's we have? What about the DNS Server IP? Should I make everything on my laptop same as my office PC except, obviously, the IP address?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Two Problems

Did you plug your laptop cable into the same port as your desktop? If not, you may have to get someone to configure the switch port to be on the same VLAN as the desktop.

If so, then using the same setup as your desktop (with a different, unused ip address) should work. This includes DNS.

If you are not seeing the printer, then this may be that your VLAN/network is different to the printer's, and your network is not configured to forward the broadcast/multicast needed to find the print server.

Either way, is there an administrator for your Local Area Network? He/she should know the network topology.

Regards.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.