Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Two Simple Multicast Questions

1st, I am setting up a local scope for a large site and I am looking at assigning the RFC range of addresses. This is quite a complex task, but, is there any reservation about assigning the highest level class C range within the 239.255.0.0, ie 239.255.255.255. Should this be reserved for relative assinments?

Secondly,

Does anyone know why the error message below, says contact your cisco rep?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

MCAST-6-DELGDA: Deleting a GDA [chars] in vlan [dec]

Explanation This message indicates that a multicast entry in the given VLAN is being deleted because an IGMP leave from the last host for this GDA was received; [chars] is the group destination address, and vlan [dec] is the VLAN number.

Recommended Action Contact your technical support representative.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Two Simple Multicast Questions

Hi Ken, how's things.

I can only answer the first one, you should be using RFC2365 (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2365.txt ) for administratively scoped multicast, this reserves the range 239.255.0.0/16 as Site Local (these addresses are typically reused between sites) and 239.192.0.0/14 as Organization Local Scope (these addresses are typically unique within a companies network).

Hope that helps with that one.

Bob

Silver

Hi ken,

I should have read your question properly, yes it is fine to use 239.255.255.255, (as per RFC2365) it is not reserved for anything other than the locally administered reseration (I have also used this in the past)

hey man, how r ya :))

coolio man!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content