cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UDP forwarding where source and destination ports don't match

wilson_w
Level 1
Level 1

I'm asking this question preemptively before I start a project. We have an application that sends out a broadcast to 255.255.255.255 on UDP ports 8082 and 8083 to detect a server. The server is going to be moving to a different network. Because of this, I know I will need to enable UDP forwarding for ports 8082 and 8083 (ip forward-protocol udp 8082/8083) from the global context, as well as putting in an IP helper address on the interface of the source network.

My question comes into place because unlike something like DHCP which uses the same source and destination ports of 67, our application uses destination port of 8082 and 8083, but a random high port for the source. So when our layer 3 switch gets the response back from the server and it's coming from source port 8082 or 8083 with a random high port for the destination, I didn't know if the IP helper functionality of the switch would be aware of that flipping in source and destination ports and still know to send the response back to the originating client on the source network.

Has anyone had any experience with this or know whether it will work or not?

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't had an experience with this, but would it be possible to create a test VLAN / network at the current location just to test it out?