Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Add NAM probe under nGenius Server

ktoh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I tried to add a NAM probe under nGenius Server, it said the "device IP already exists". However, I am not able to find it under "traffic monitor", "probe" tab, anywhere can I find it?

I am using nGenius Version 1.4.0 and the NAM probe.

10 Replies 10

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Do you have a probe or a Network Analysis Module (NAM)?. If it is a NAM, what is the model and the software version running on it?. What RTM patches have been installed from CCO?

The NAM probe model is WS-X6380-NAM, the software running is 2.1(2) with patch of "c6nam-2.1-patch-3-0".

RTM has not been patch yet, I saw there is a "rtm140-sp6-win.exe" on cisco download site, it is okay for me to patch to this version?, what does SP6 stands for?

Thank you!

You don't want to add the IP address of the NAM to RTM, you only want to add the 6500 switch that the NAM is in. If your NAM is correctly configured with the same SNMP strings as the switch, RTM will discover it. You then access the NAM via the switch in RTM.

Hi,

In this case, can you help to enligthen what is the purpose of "Add Probe" option?

Also, I have tried the method you mention, but I am not able to see Network and application layer data when I go the "traffic monitor" page, under the switch tab. In the probe tab, I am not seeing the NAM probe there, why is this so?

Thank you!

The "Add Probe" is for defining stand-alone RMON probes. Ignore it unless you bought Probes from NetScout.

To get application data on the switch, you need to SPAN ports to the NAM. Go to the Server Admin page and go to the switch. Click on "Spanning". Add the ports, VLANs, or whatever else you want the NAM to monitor. Now, if you go back to the Traffic Monitor section, you will get the higher-layer data.

Hi,

Thanks for steps mentioned. However, under the Traffic monitor section, under Switch tab, under "All switch port" section, why are certain VLAN with "Data Link" option enable?

On other VLAN, the higher-layer data options is available but there is "No data available" display on the bottom of the page, why is this so?

Thanks!

- RTM 1.4 SP6 is recommedned. SP stands for Service Pack or a Cumulative Patch.

- Make sure that you dont't add the NAM's ip address by clicking on the Probe Tab in RTM Server. You need to add the switch which has this NAM in it by clicking on the Switch Tab. RTM will automatically learn it.

Refer to: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/fam_mod/rel2_1_2/ol_2428.htm which describes step-by-step on who you'd use this NAM with RTM.

P.S: The new NAM software version 3.1(1) is also now available on CCO. This has a built-in Traffic Analyzer Web GUI as well as Reporting feature. You can upgrade to 3.(1) and use the NAM Web GUI which totally eliminates the need ot RTM altogether.

Hi,

I am not adventure enough, hence I only patch to "c6nam.2-1.patch.9-0.bin", whenever I want to configure "Response Time Monitor Setup, Collection Configuration", I encounter the error message below:

"A Runtime Error has occured. Do you wish to debug, Line:30, Error, Object doesn't support this property or method", anyway to overcome this?

The NAM 3.1(1) software that you mentioned does it run on "WS-X6380-NAM"? (I can't find relavant doc. on the web.)

Lastly, how do I perform a rollback on the patches?

Thank you!

Yes, NAM v3.(1) can be installed on WS-X6380-NAM from:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ws-x6380-nam

NAM 3.1(1) Docs: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/fam_mod/x6380nam/rel3_1_1/index.htm

Patch rollback is not possible. For that error message, trying doing a config clear on the NAM and then reboot it. Once it comes back online, re-try configuring the collection again.

I guess I have to upgrade the CatOS before I can proceed with Nam 3.1. Thanks for the help.