Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unable to console into a C2500 series router

I have a C2500 router, and I am trying to console into it so I can create a study lab here at home. I am using a rollover cable, and a DB9 female to RJ45 adapter. I am connecting that to COM port 1 and using hyper-term. I am using 9600-8-1-N settings in hyper-term. The adapter is a Allen Tel ATDB9F-8.

Is it possible that the console port was deactivated? The only other ways I haven't tried is the aux and DB15 ethernet connection on the router. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

6 REPLIES
Green

Re: Unable to console into a C2500 series router

The 9-pin adapter may not be pinned out properly.

If you can, try swapping pins 2&3.

As an alternative, try a regular (non-rolled) silver satin 8 position cable.

If the PC you're using is Windows 95 or 98, it could be a HyperTerm problem (it was flakey on those platforms). Upgrade to HyperTerm Pro, or ty another terminal program (I prefer Secure CRT from VanDyke, they also make a non SSH version called CRT).

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks I will give that a shot. I am using Windows 2000 OS.

Jeff

I swapped pins 2 and 3 in the adapter and used a regular straight through patch cable, and still was not able to console in. I have ordered a standard Cisco terminal DB-9F to RJ45. I have seen these work in other labs so hopefully that will resolve the issue. I have used two different computers on which I have no trouble with the Hyper-term or Com ports when consoling into other pieces of equipment. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Jeff

I agree with Marc, first troubleshoot the hardware, the adapter and the cable. Can you try the cable and adapter on another router? If that checks out then check COM1 on your machine.

You need a null modem adaptor from RadioShack Aprox. $9.00

thanks everyone for their suggestions, but the problem has been solved. It was in the adapter I was using and apparently the pinouts weren't to cisco standards. I ordered a cisco equivalent adapter part # 74-0495-01 Equivalent RJ45/DB9F RS-232. Do a search on the internet for 74-0495-01 and it will turn up suppliers that make this part. I got it pretty reasonable through www.stonewallcable.com for $8.95 and saw it has much as $60.00 on some sites. This is a Cisco terminal adapter. I have already consoled into the router, recovered the password, and saved the config to run to its new configuration settings. Again thanks to all for the suggestions.

Jeff

Views
Helpful
Replies