Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to get vlan out of admin dwn status

e-alvarez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cat 2924 with a very basic config. but I am no able to get Vlan 2 out of the administratively down status.

Here´s the problem:

Switch#sh vtpstat

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 0

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 68

Number of existing VLANs : 6

VTP Operating Mode : Transparent

VTP Domain Name : Test

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x73 0x12 0x3B 0x87 0x0E 0x1B 0x82 0x4E

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-1-93 00:05:36

Switch#

Switch#

Switch#sh vlan

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4,

2 Test active Fa0/2

1002 fddi-default active

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2

---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 1002 1003

2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 1 1003

Switch#

Switch#sh ip int brie

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

VLAN1 192.168.1.100 YES manual up up

VLAN2 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

FastEthernet0/2 unassigned YES unset down down

I Have not been able to get Vlan2 Up.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Eduardo

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eduardo

From what you have included in your post it looks like you have created a layer 2 VLAN in VLAN 2 and assigned a port to it (or since Fa0/2 appears in both VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 I assume that you must have configured that port as a trunk). I would feel better about it is there were an access port assigned to VLAN 2. But I do not see anything that says that at layer 2 that VLAN 2 is not working.

Your show ip interface brief is looking at layer 3 definitions. You have not indicated in your post that you have tried to configure VLAN 2 as a layer 3 entity. If you have configured VLAN 2 for layer 3 operation please post the config of the switch. If you have not configured VLAN 2 for layer 3 then there is no problem when show ip interface brief says that it is admin down.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Ed,

The switch which you have is a layer 2 switch so only one vlan will remain up at layer 3 for management purposes.

Currently you have ip assigned on vlan 1 so vlan 1 is up. If you assign an ip on vlan 2 and make it no shut vlan 2 interface will come up but vlan 1 interface will go down.

On layer 2 switch only one interface vlan can be up at layer 3 level but if you talk of layer 2 all the vlans can be active. Check with this command "sh vlan" you will se vlan 2 as active if incase you have any workstations plugged to vlan 2 assigned port or if you have configued any trunk port.

The output your switch show it is perfectly fine.

Your vlan 2 will work fine till the time you see it in vlan database as active with "sh vlan" command.

Make sure it exist in your vlan database and you have any port assigend to vlan 2 or trunk configured on switch to make vlan 2 active at layer 2.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks, Rick.

I did not configure the port for L3. I did try to assign a L3 address just to see if I could get it up, but I still had the Vlan down at L3. I was just curious as to the possibilities why it was down. I also do not need routing between the vlans at this point, so L3 is not that big an issue right now.

And since this is my only switch now, I also do not need trunking. I forgot to remove the interface from the other vlan I was playing around with.

Thanks a lot, again, for your answer.

Regards,

Eduardo

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The layer2 definition for vlan 2 shows active , to get the layer SVI to come active you have to do a "shutdown" on "interface vlan 1 " and then do a no shut on the layer SVI for vlan 2 . Also you will need a live link on F0/2 for vlan2 to come up . If you don't have a up/up condition on f0/2 vlan2 won't come up .