cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to see CLI with serial to usb adaptor windows 7 x64

Kilroycb13
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2821 router with switch module, using a rollover cable with a serial to usb converter cable. i have installed every version of the prolific driver i could find including the one on the cd but when ever i open putty or terra term into the correct com port etc. it isnt giving me any feed back, just a blank screen and no fill. which indicates to me its not establishing a connection. 
i tried connecting with the same cable and router using my work laptop which is also window 7 (although unsure if x64 or x32) and it works fine on that with putty. I have the right settings, no flow control parity 1 9600 baud etc, 
anyone had this issue and can shed some light?

2 Replies 2

Nish Vamadevan
Level 1
Level 1

It most likely a driver issue, I have faced this problem and reseating the USB cable sometimes fixes it. Do check the COM port because it usually changes.

My guess is it's the driver issue as well. We had USB2Serial adapters that used Prolific drivers and they were notoriously horrible for either not allowing you to view the console or blue screening the entire laptop. 

I switched to Keyspan (by Tripp Lite) USB2Serial adapters and haven't had an issue since. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: