cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unaswered post reposted. how force traffic on a port?

hanwucisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've been having this question for quite a few days, but can't get the satisfying answer.

I have a device that connect to a Catalyst 4006. the switch shows connected. However, when doing a show port command, there is no mac under " Last-Src-Addr". Despite this, I encode a IP in this device, and ping it from the switch. then it showed the Last-Src-Addr. But physically putting IP there is not practical in my case although it is successful.

My understanding would be that there is no traffic coming out/going into the device. therefore, I used many ways to sending traffic, including l2 tracert, ping broadcast, none of them succeeded.

My question for you is how can I let the switch show the Last-Src-Addr of that port?

thanks,

Han

2 Replies 2

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

By getting some traffic from the device,it learns the source mac address of the device.

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried configuring the port with mac-adress sticky or if you shut no shut the port, does the mac-address shows up in the mac-address-table.

Curious, why wouldn't it be pratical. What kind of device is it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: