Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Understanding the Copy command

I have a cisco router 3825, and i have configured it to make ip phone calls; and i want to make some changes to the running-config; and i want to save

that running-config to the flash: as running-config-wrk. After a reboot of the router and the router has finished booting, can i copy the running-config-wrk file to replace the current running-config file? EX: copy running-config-wrk running-config; Is this valid? will the running-config-wrk replace the running-config file?

thanks,

Anthony

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

will the running-config-wrk

will the running-config-wrk replace the running-config file?

running-config-wrk will replace the running-config.  running-config is NOT a file.  It's in memory.  startup-config is the file when you save your running-config.

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

will the running-config-wrk replace the running-config file?

No, it effectively merges the source with the running config.

However, later (since 12.3[7]T) IOS images have a config replace command.

Joseph,that is very

Joseph,

that is very interesting; that may explain my issue; i saved a config filed called running-config-wrk on the the flash dir; and when i booted the router i copied the running-config-wrk on to the running-config (copy running-config-wrk running-config) thinking this would completely replace the running-config; but when i looked at the running-config, i saw additional text in the new running-config that was not in the running-config-wrk, but was part of the old running-config i wanted to replace.

so, are you telling me that when i performed the copy running-config-wrk runing-config, that the running-config-wrk did not overwrite the existing running-config, it just merged the two configs together? meaining the commands different in each config remained in new config and duplicated commands, only one entry stayed?

If this the case, what is the command to do a config replace? i'll look it up.

Anthony

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, that's correct, copying to running merges, it doesn't overwrite (like copying to startup would).

The command to do (running) config replace is "config replace ..."

Views
Helpful
Replies