cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown VTP password

ccsmith705
Level 1
Level 1

I added a new switch to my network, but it's not picking up any VLAN information. I made it a VTP client and entered the correct VTP domain name. I did notice that the MD5 hash for the VTP password was different from the VTP server's. I tried clearing the VTP password on the new switch, but the hashes are still different. Someone else set up the VTP server and other switches on the network and there is no documentation of what the password might be. Am I correct in assuming that this is the cause of the VLAN info not updating on my new switch? Are there any steps to recover an unknown VTP password? If I can't recover the existing password, what are my options? Thanks for any help you can provide me.

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

U r right if the vtp password info is different on the server and the client the vlan info will not be sync.i dnot know weather u can recover it or not.may someone expert point on this.

But what we can do is may it work.If u just want connectivity among these switches u can convert the new switch in vtp transparent mode with the same vtp domain name and manually crate vlans on this and define one of the ports as trunk ports.what is going to happen is u can pass traffic from the vlans defined on this new switch to other vlans only u r vtp info will not be sync.

Thanks

Mahmood

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

i was assumed on your post, that you don't know the password of VTP server & when you try configuring new switch, you tried entering the password which you assumed, but didn't get any updation from the vtp server as you feel password is different. ofcourse one of the reasons, if there is a password mismatch also you won't get any updationz from the vtp server.

this might be silly in asking but did you make the ports trunking on the new switch & also why don't you try deleting vlan.dat(flash:vlan.dat) on the vtp server, so that it will clear the vlan information in vlan database & then creating it once again(not the vlan configuration eg. interface vlan2....) . try this option after working hours.

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

You asked:

Am I correct in assuming that this is the cause of the VLAN info not updating on my new switch? Are there any steps to recover an unknown VTP password? If I can't recover the existing password, what are my options?

>>> Yes, this is a very good reason why VTP is not being updated on the client. Steps to recover unknown password depends on whether you have access to the VTP server and you have enable access. Below is how you reset the VTP password to no password.

6k (enable) set vtp passwd null

Generating MD5 secret for the password ....

VTP domain cisco modified

6k (enable) sh vtp domain

Domain Name Domain Index VTP Version Local Mode Password

-------------------------------- ------------ ----------- ----------- ----------

cisco 1 2 server configured

Vlan-count Max-vlan-storage Config Revision Notifications

---------- ---------------- --------------- -------------

71 1023 400 disabled

Last Updater V2 Mode Pruning PruneEligible on Vlans

--------------- -------- -------- -------------------------

x.x.x.x enabled disabled 2-1000

6k (enable) set vtp passwd ?

Password (0 to clear)

6k (enable) set vtp passwd 0

Resetting the password to Default value....

VTP domain cisco modified

6k (enable) sh vtp doma

Domain Name Domain Index VTP Version Local Mode Password

-------------------------------- ------------ ----------- ----------- ----------

cisco 1 2 server -

Vlan-count Max-vlan-storage Config Revision Notifications

---------- ---------------- --------------- -------------

71 1023 400 disabled

Last Updater V2 Mode Pruning PruneEligible on Vlans

--------------- -------- -------- -------------------------

x.x.x.x enabled disabled 2-1000

6k-4a (enable)

Please rate helpful posts.