Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unreachable switch

I have a 2950 attached to a 4006 there is a pt to pt vlan build between them the vlan is up but the 2950 is unreachable I can not ping it.

I can see the 2950 from the 4006 in cdp.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unreachable switch

Can you paste the output of "sh cdp neigh det" from both the switches and also relevant port configs from both the switches?

Hi,

I dont think there is any problem with layer 2, as you are able to see the switch on CDP.

Are you configuring the main switch as VTP server and the other as client ? In that case, if you dont assign the IP address to the VLAN in the second switch , you cannot ping the 4006 from the 2950 switch.

Give us a little more information of the layer 3 configs done at your end.

On the 4006 the VTP oper mode is Server and it is in VTP domain HHH, On the 2950 I have not set up any VTP config could this be the problem. The 4006 has the IP address associated with the vlan and the GIG port is just layer 2 with access to the vlan. Same on the 2950 IP address is associated with the vlan and the Gig port has switchport access to the vlan.

Try configuring the GIG ports to be trunks and not access links. use "switchport mode trunk" to enable trunking on this. Do not configure the port to access .

Good luck !1

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.