cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unrecognised Character display on switch

ujamkc
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using my catalyst 2950 without configuring it. Recently, I had a routing problem which I posted on my previous message and I decided to configure vlans on my switch but when I logged on to the console it displays unrecognised character or another language that I can't understand. Please any idea on how I can bring the switch back to display English Language? Thanks

~Kaycee

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Our switches/routers only have English characters. What baud rate do you have? Try consoling in with 9600

johnsher12
Level 1
Level 1

The settings in the Hyper Terminal need to be set correctly; otherwise, "strange-looking" or garbage characters may show up on the screen. When setting up the connection, use the following settings:

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

I have also had these problems with pin-out problems on cables and the serial connector attached to the PC.

John

I have done all this before, setting the baudrate etc and it's still bringing out the garbage.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: