cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unsuccess Rate Limit In Cat6K

drahmad
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem when I want to limiting bandwidth in Cat6k. It seems that Cat6K can't handle rate limit (with CAR or traffic shaping). Can someone suugest me what should I do to make it work ?

4 Replies 4

gopal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi....would appreciate some more details as to how you are going about it, what command? are doing it on the MSFC or on the L2 engine, cos I have done some thing similar using the L2 Engine and QoS microflow and aggregate policies.....as in commands below...

set qos enable

set qos policer microflow abc rate 32 burst 48 drop

set qos policer microflow xyzl rate 64 burst 128 drop

## Here we enable QoS on the switch, and define some Microflow policies as required by the Business Policies

## In these Microflow policies we define for each of the microflow policy a maximum data transfer rate and a burst rate also exceeding which the packets will be dropped as is defined in the policy.

set qos acl ip ABC trust-cos microflow abc tcp any host

set qos acl ip ABC trust-cos microflow xyz tcp any host

## Here we create a QoS ACL "ABC" link it with the microflow policies that we defined above and also also define the traffic for which this QoS ACL and the appropriate microflow policy should be applied "tcp any X.X.X.X", thus here we are defining these policies for the traffic coming from the Internet to the destination IP's in the Network.

## Thus by the Microflow policies in conjunction with the QoS ACL we configure the maximum Bandwidth for the users.

commit qos acl all

## By the above command the QoS ACL is committed to the PFC engine.

Hope the above suffices you requirement.

Do revert Rgds

Hi Gopal. Thanks for the explanation. But can we do it in MSFC1 instead of L2 engine ? FYI, previously I've done it with traffic shaping & CAR command in MSFC. But from our bandwidth measurement device, we can see that it wasn't work properly.

Hi.. I think you should be able to do it using the rate limit command on the VLAN interfaces.....

You would have multiple VLAN's created in the MSFC, what you could is define access-list to identify the traffic which you want to subject to the CAR....and then apply rate limit for the access-list on the VLAN interface in the IN and Out direction..

eg:

On the global config

access-list 101 permit tcp any host....... eq .......

On the VLAN 10

rate-limit access-group 101 input rate 64 transmit excess drop..

( Pls check the exact command syntax above )

I think this should be OK, can be verified using " show interface .... rate-limit

Rgds

Gopal

Gopal, actually this is my biggest concern for this case. I've already configure CAR in Cat6K but the funny thing is it didn't work properly. Several users still can access with higher bandwidth that I've configure in it. But when I do simulation with router, CAR can work properly.

Is there any other requirement that I have to install in it first before I activate CAR (IOS version maybe). FYI, I'm using MSFC IOS enterprise plus version 12.0.7XE.

Rgrds

Dicky