Views
Helpful
Replies

unused ports

n.phipps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is their anyway that I can identify unused ports on our access switches (3500s). It would be very usefull to, say, run a script to do this which would then shut these ports down.

Other wise Im going to have to enter each switch individualy and do it by hand.

Thanks

Norman

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

If you can CW2K Campus Manager, then you can launch Topology Services, select the device->Port Attributes->Unused Ports. Alternately, portAdditionalOperStatus from CISCO-STACK-MIB. For XL switch c2900PortStatus from CISCO-C2900-MIB can be used in a script for this.

Thanks for that.

It tells me that the port is up or down (If Im looking in the right bit). Which is very useful but not what I need - the machine may just be switched off. If I look at the port in question its marked as down, but traffic has passed through the interface. If I look at a port thats never been used it is also marked as down but no (or little) traffic has passed through it.

Ideally what is need is a utility/script that checks traffic and the port status.

Norman

tpersson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Not sure if you have seen this:

http://www.scd.ucar.edu/nets/docs/portlists/

//Tobias

THanks - I'll give that a go.

Norman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: