cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating IOS via FTP. Not enough space.

d.bigerstaff
Level 1
Level 1

I'm upgrading my IOS for a 2811 router. The problem I am having is that there is not enough space to copy the new IOS to flash without deleting the original IOS first.

This is the error I get:

%Error copying ftp://192.168.10.42/c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T.bin (Not e

nough space on device)

Is it ok to just do:

delete flash:c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.123-11.T10.bin

then copy over the new IOS?

What would happen if the copying of the new IOS were to fail after I delete the original IOS?

Basically i'm just a bit weary as i've not had to delete an IOS to clear space before.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

the squeeze command is not implemented for every router and every flash.

"Note The squeeze flash command applies only to the Class B flash file system. This command is unnecessary with Class C flash file systems, because unused file space is recovered automatically. Moreover, the squeeze flash command is not supported on Cisco 1800 series routers or Cisco 2801 routers."

From http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35d3.html

Basically if it is a class C flash file system, deleted files free the space. In a class B file system deleted files do not free the space and can be seen with dir or show flash indicated as "(deleted)". In the latter case only you need the squeeze command.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

regards, Martin

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

geoffalbin
Level 1
Level 1

if you delete the .bin and the new copy fails, you will need a console cable. you can connect the router to the console cable and the pc. put your new IOS on the pc and use xmodem to transfer to the router.

so if you want to go that route, do this...

format flash:

reload

at the rommon promt...

init_flash

copy xmodem:new.ios.file.bin flash:new.ios.file.bin

use hyperterminal to start the xmodem transfer.

then reload again or just type boot

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

well in case you delete the IOS from flash you should not boot, because then you will boot to bootIOS or rommon. You can still get a new IOS into the router in those conditions, so you are not totally lost if it happens.

Other than that it is sometimes the only way of upgrading IOS on routers with not enough flash memory to hold two IOS files.

So make sure you have FTP connectivity before erasing flash and then download the new IOS right away.

Regards, Martin

I've got a lot of CallManager Express files in flash so i dont really want to format flash.

I've got ftp working on it, and i'm currently backing up all the files on it. The router is also next to me and i'm connected via console cable so if worst case scenario happens i would be able to copy with xmodem.

So my course of action now is to "delete flash:c2800-romname.bin" then ftp copy the new IOS.

Am I right in thinking that the router will automatically load an IOS if its the only IOS on flash? or do I need to instruct the router to specifically load the new IOS?

Thanks for the quick replies.

David

If it's the only IOS on the flash, it will automatically pick it up.

When having multiple IOS, you need to instruct which IOS to boot from with the

(config)#boot system flash

command.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've been in situations when I had to erase the current IOS in order to install a new one. The steps you mentioned are the correct one and as long as you don't reboot, all services and commands are available without having the IOS in the file system.

Also, make sure to squeeze the flash after deleting the IOS, in order to make room.

I've done this procedure several times in 2600 and 2800 Series router.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks

When reading the instructions at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35d5.html I read about the squeeze command but I not have it available on my 2811. It's an %Unrecognised command.

I currently have 21mb free space on flash. The old IOS is 26mb. And the new one is 38mb. In theory , to me, it appears that I should be able to delete the old IOS and have room for the new. But , having to squeeze to make room makes me uncertain. Seeing as i dont have that command i'm unsure if i should delete the old ios.

Very strange.

You have to be out of the config mode and if you enter squeeze ? - do you get an online help ?

I'll have to check on the 2800s later on, I'm sure the 2600 have the squeeze command available.

#squeeze ?

/nolog Squeeze without squeeze logs

/quiet Squeeze without progress update

flash: Filesystem to be squeezed

Router#squeeze ?

% Unrecognized command

Well, I deleted the old IOS and copied the other over by FTP. is it just a case of rebooting the router now? :)

Yes.

Martin posted some useful information on why squeeze did not work in your case.

Hi,

the squeeze command is not implemented for every router and every flash.

"Note The squeeze flash command applies only to the Class B flash file system. This command is unnecessary with Class C flash file systems, because unused file space is recovered automatically. Moreover, the squeeze flash command is not supported on Cisco 1800 series routers or Cisco 2801 routers."

From http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35d3.html

Basically if it is a class C flash file system, deleted files free the space. In a class B file system deleted files do not free the space and can be seen with dir or show flash indicated as "(deleted)". In the latter case only you need the squeeze command.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

regards, Martin

Many thanks once again guys, it's updated now.