cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade 2924M IOS but can't ping tftp server?

christina_neo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The switch 2924M(vlan 1, ip address 10.10.10.100, 255.255.255.0) is directly connected to the tftp server (10.10.10.10, 255.255.255.0) via a straigh-through cable.

But I can't ping the tftp server from the switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christina

10 Replies 10

Assuming the switch config is correct, check the PC on which the TFTP server is running to see if the firewall setting is preventing ICMP echo replies from being sent.

Alternatively, you can try to telnet to the switch from the PC to check if you have connectivity.

HTH,

Sundar

-

Hi Sundar,

It is a standalone setup. The tftp server(pc) is directed connected to the switch. the interface connecting to the pc shows up.

but when I issue

Switch#show ip

Switch#

show it reflect the ip address instead?

I have attached the switch configuration.

The pc is able to ping to the another pc when it is connected to the network. It should be able to ping to the switch?

Thanks

Christina

Christina,

Can you post the output of following commands.

show int (pc_port)

show vlan

show int (pc_port) switchport

show mac-address-table

show int vlan1

Thanks,

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

please refer to the attached output.

Thanks.

Christina

Christina,

Your switch doesn't see the MAC address of the PC. This can be caused by a bad cable, defective switchport, bad NIC, duplex/speed mismatch or STP. NIC mayn't be a problem as indicated it works with other PCs on the network.

Try configuring the f0/1 the following way. Try a known working cable. Move the connection to a different port on a switch.

interface FastEthernet0/1

duplex full

speed 10

spanning-tree portfast

Let us know how you make out with it.

HTH,

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

I apologise for my overlook. I tried to connect using a different pc and it works exactly with the same settings. My pc is blocking ping and telnet from itself for this standalone connection. However, when I am connected to the network, I am able to do ping and telnet. I tried to disable the firewall service in Services panel. However, I still can't ping or telnet out. Do you know how to enable ping and telnet on the pc?

I proceed to do the following on the switch.

Switch#copy tftp: flash:

Address or name of remote host [10.10.10.10]?

Source filename [c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC14.bin]?

Destination filename [c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC14.bin]?

Accessing tftp://10.10.10.10/c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC14.bin...

Loading c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC14.bin from 10.10.10.10 (via VLAN1): !!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!O!OO

%Error reading tftp://10.10.10.10/c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC14.bin (Transfer abor

ted)

Switch#

The file size of c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC14.bin is 1.72 MB (1,811,599 bytes). However, it fails?

Appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.

Christina

Christina,

I am using a Windows XP.

You can go under:

Settings --> Control Panel --> Windows Firewall --> Advanced Tab --> Check the box for Allow incoming Echo Request.

While in there, you can also turn off the firewall under General Tab.

Pls. rate the post if it helped.

HTH,

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

I am using Windows XP SP1, hence, there is no windows firewall.

Thanks.

Christina

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

also make sure the port connected to the tftp server is actually enabled and if needed hard code the speed and duplex .. this is layer 1 - 2 issue