Level 1
Level 1

in the documentation is following method:

1/set system highavailability disable

2/copy slot0:cat6000-sup2k8.7-2-2.bin bootflash:cat6000-sup2k8.7-2-2.bin

3/dir bootflash:

4/clear boot system all

5/set boot system flash bootflash:cat6000-sup2k8.7-2-2.bin

and the following sentence:"In approximately 120 seconds, the image set as the boot entry on the active supervisor engine will be copied to the bootflash on the

standby supervisor engine (this is the image synchronization)". Is it possible without highavailability enable??? I don't know if I have to run highavailability before point 5.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

When you just copy the image to the active sup engine it will not let the active sup know that it has to copy the image to the standby but as soon as you set the boot variable on the active supervisor engine to the new Catalyst OS software image it triggers the request to the active sup to copy the image to the standby.

In most cases it will work this way only but sometimes I have seen it does not happen so at that time reseat the standby sup and it will request for any new image from active sup engine and will start copy to stany sup internally via tftp.

High Availibity is not concern in copying the image to standby at all. The High Availability software feature of Catalyst OS further enhances the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series hardware redundancy by also providing protocol redundancy. This feature includes two main functions: stateful protocol redundancy and image versioning.

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

No you do not have run highavailablity for upgrade.

Infact it is better to disable highavailability and also disable highavailablity versioning before you start upgrade.

Once it is upgraded I will recommend you to enable highavailability versioning as well as highavailability and then move ahead

Before the standby supervisor engine running the new software becomes active, versioning must be enabled. This allows the standby supervisor engine to reboot under the new version of Catalyst OS while remaining the standby supervisor engine.

Check this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a0080088874.shtml#xtocid13

HTH,if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

thank you for your answer.I have the last question. How the active Sup recognises that the CatOS has to be copied to the backup Sup, when the highavailability is disabled?

In this document is following:

"In approximately 120 seconds, the image set as the boot entry on the active supervisor engine will be copied to the bootflash on the standby supervisor engine (this is the image synchronization). This is an internal TFTP of the Catalyst OS image file and takes a few minutes to complete. The image file will have a BTSYNC appended to the beginning of the filename. This is to designate that it has

been synchronized from the active supervisor engine’s boot-time image."

Hi Friend,

When you just copy the image to the active sup engine it will not let the active sup know that it has to copy the image to the standby but as soon as you set the boot variable on the active supervisor engine to the new Catalyst OS software image it triggers the request to the active sup to copy the image to the standby.

In most cases it will work this way only but sometimes I have seen it does not happen so at that time reseat the standby sup and it will request for any new image from active sup engine and will start copy to stany sup internally via tftp.

High Availibity is not concern in copying the image to standby at all. The High Availability software feature of Catalyst OS further enhances the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series hardware redundancy by also providing protocol redundancy. This feature includes two main functions: stateful protocol redundancy and image versioning.

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

Thank you for your advice. I will rate your answer as excellent.:-)