Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade core switches.

hanwucisco
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

The core of our network, basically a LAN, consists of two Cisco switches 6509 / sup1, run with HSRP. The distribution layer consists of about 20 4912 switches. We’re going to replace them with two new 6509 /720 Sup. Although I’ve done something similar, I’ve never done an upgrade same as this.

I post my idea here and I’d like you guys give me some opinions as whether it is feasible or whether there is another better way and what should be carefully dealt with.

These are the steps with which I want to implement the upgrade. Let’s use New-6509 as two new 6509, Old-6509 reference the two old ones that are running on our network.

1. Install the two New-6509/SUP720 physically.

2. Configure the tow New-6509, making them have the similar setting as the Old-6509.

3. put them into the HSRP group;

4. connect distribution lay to the two New-6509;

5. test and observe;

6. if the network is stable, change the HSRP server in the HSRP group from one of the Old-6509 to one of the New-6509;

7. test and observe;

8. if the network runs fine, get the Old-6509 one by one.

One of the steps that I am worried is Step 4, because this cost another 2 set of cables and ports to distribution layers.

Thanks,

Han,

2 Replies 2

david.bradley
Level 1
Level 1

That sounds OK to me...

If you configure them as you say in a fully redundant confuration you should not have many problems.

Pull the active HRSP router across with preempt, make sure all your new uplinks contain all your vlans. You could trim the VLANs out of your old uplinks one by one to have less impact in case anything goes wrong.

Dave

david.bradley
Level 1
Level 1

That sounds OK to me...

If you configure them as you say in a fully redundant confuration you should not have many problems.

Pull the active HRSP router across with preempt, make sure all your new uplinks contain all your vlans. You could trim the VLANs out of your old uplinks one by one to have less impact in case anything goes wrong.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: