Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade IOS on a Cisco 1941 router

Not applicable

Can you tell me the process for loading and/or upgrading an IOS on a Cisco 1941 router?

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

you can use multiple protocols but tftp or ftp can be fairly common and easier to use than scp, same process for most cisco devices routers /switches etc

setup your tftp server on your pc plenty of freeware versions available  , give your self an ip on the lan make sure you can reach the router , turn off local firewall on  your pc while doing the tftp transfer 

On cisco side these commands as an example , start with the copy tftp then hit return and it will bring up each prompt

c-MSFC15# copy tftp flash 
Address or name of remote host []? 172.16.84.119
Source filename []? c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-8a.E5 
Destination filename [flash]? c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-8a.E5 
Accessing tftp://172.16.84.119/c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-8a.E5... 
Loading c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-8a.E5 from 172.16.84.119 (via Vlan1): 

then set the boot statements save the config and reload the router

(conft)

boot-start-marker
boot system flash:image name from flash
boot-end-marker

do wr

do reload

***Please rate posts that answer your query***

Some additional notes . . .

I think the 1841 may support multiple boot statements.  If it does, the first valid boot statement will be used, and newly added boot statements append at the end of the list.  (I.e. you may need to explicitly remove old boot statement[s] from the config.)

You may find you have insufficient flash space to load a new IOS image.  If you do, you may need to remove existing files.  On an 1841, I believe you can also remove the currently running image.  Ideally save a copy of such before you delete it.  Also, if you somehow reload the device before the new image is loaded, you may need to recover from ROMMOM mode.

You may also find other media might be supported for booting, such as USB stick or CF modules (I don't know, w/o research, what are all your options with an 1841).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: