cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade OS on a 6509

jrhofman
Level 1
Level 1

I will be upgrading a 6509 (SUP1a/MSFC2) from 6.3.6 to 8.2.1 in order to support a new 10/100/1000 copper blade. I went through the dynamic configurator to get the proper code version. The configurtor also recommended 24Meg flash card so I have that as well.

I'm just pinging the board to see if anyone has any insights or hidden gotya's that I might expect to run into in this type of an upgrade. It should be pretty strait forward but I have had issues in the past on a 5500 upgrade. Went from 6.2.2 to 6.4.8 and after the upgrade the configration was blown away. This happened to two 5500's.

Any insights would be helpful.

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure the Sup meets the DRAM and bootrom requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/ol_4498.htm#20785

You normally will not loose config during an upgrade(you will during a downgrade), but it is still a good idea to back up config using "copy config flash" command.

Also, any reason why you want to run 8.x versus 7.x?. Your line card should be supported in 7.6(x).

Thanks foe the Update. I did discover that I needed a DRAM upgrad from 64meg to 128meg for the 8.2 code.

I arrived at 8.2 by going throught the configurator. Can you point me to the doc that shows 7.6.x. I'm running a sup1A/MSFC2 in this switch.

Thank you for the responses. All good info for my upgrade.

kodered
Level 1
Level 1

One other issue you may encounter is losing your WAN interfaces on your MSFC's. They will still be in the start-up conf, but not in the running. You can cut and paste them back in, or copy start run. Lots of issues with WCCP configs disappearing as well... hmmmmmm

good luck,

(0_o)