Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cisco 2950 Switch Firmware

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Cisco 2950 switch firmware from 12.1(22)EA4 to 12.1(22)EA8 since the former one is not supporting SSH. First of all, in EA2 release note they're mentioning that SSH is supported in the EA2 version so why isn't it supported by EA4? Is SSH supported with the 12.2(22)EA8?

The more important question is that I tried to upgrade already using the "archive download-sw /leave-old-sw /reload tftp:" as explained in the config guide but I discovered that this command doesn't reside. I then tried using the "copy tftp: flash:" command and the file transfer started already but did NOT succeed. Do you have any clue on how to upgrade the 2950 to a version that supports SSH and please advise whether the versions mentioned above support SSH or not.

Thanks,

Haitham

7 Replies 7

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

In order to support SSH, you need an IOS that has a cryptographic support. It would not matter if the version is higher if it's not crypto IOS it would not support SSH. The way to tell whether you have cypto supported IOS is it would have "k2" in the file name.

Please rate all posts.

Thanks for your response, so this means the following file "c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA8.bin" should provide me with the SSH functionality, right?

I tried to upgrade to this version using the procedure mentioned in the guide as I stated in my previous post but it didnt work; can you please advise on the reason why it's failing and on how to do the upgrade?

Thanks,

Haitham

Does the connection between the switch and the server (tftp) starts?

I used the "copy tftp flash", then it asks me for the server address and I provided it and finally the file name (the file name needs to be exactly the same way it's spell in the server, otherwise would not work)

hope it works!

check and make sure that the flash have enough space for the image you are downloading to it.

Hi,

The connection between the tftp server and the switch starts but you're right there's no enough space on the flash; what should I delete in order to free space and be able to download the new version? I'm afraid if I deleted the old IOS the switch will stop from operation! Please advise how should I proceed?

Thanks,

Haitham

Format the flash: as long as you do not reboot the switch after formatting you should be okay, remember once you format you will be left with no image so make sure you do not reboot.

Please rate all posts.

Just delete the current running image. "delete flash: . Then just do your "copy tftp flash: , this should work after freeing the space .On the 2950's you do not have to squeeze flash to make space .