cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading Cisco IOS in 2951 router

Omer ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I upgraded my Cisco IOS from 15.0 to 15.4 but I didn't erase the previous  IOS because I have enough space in the flash, now the new IOS saying that I have only 60 days I have to activate it before that time. what to do now? do I really need to get a license key or how can I use the previous key and how can I find it? thanks for your help.

2 Replies 2

fchikomo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi I have read your case and understand that after doing a software upgrade on your 2951 router, you are getting a message that you have 60 days to activate new IOS.

Once a permanent license is installed on a router, it is good for that particular feature set for the life of the router even across IOS versions. For example, once a UC, Security or Data license is installed on a router, the subsequent features for that license will be activated even if the router is upgraded to a new IOS release.The following link provides you with options for Managing Software Activation Licenses:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/software-activation-on-integrated-services-routers-isr/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000794

fchikomo,

I apperciate your help, what I understand in the link is once your 60 days is finish or you reload your device the device will go back to it's original features which was working before, am I right? if so then what is the point  of upgrading? once my device will go back to its almost default then....?

Now if I reload my device or exceed 60 days, do you think it'll work without problems?

thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: