Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrading IOS on Switches(4507 R and 6509) SupIV and Sup720

I have to upgrade bunch of switches like 4507 R with redundant supervisors and 6509 with redundant supervisor.I have done this before but now I am kinda rusty in doing so,can anyone point me to the step by step procedure to do it on 4507 R's and 6509.How can I upgrade the switches without any outage?

Any help is appreciated.

Thnks,

Dev

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Upgrading IOS on Switches(4507 R and 6509) SupIV and Sup720

Hi Dev,

4500:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/177.html#subtopic1g

Mentioned indirectly:

"redundancy reload peer will reload the standby Supervisor. This command is used to keep the downtime to a minimum while performing upgrades to both Supervisors. Download the new IOS in both Supervisor bootflash and change the boot variable to load the new image. Reload the standby using this command so that it will come up with the new IOS. Reload the active by issuing the reload command to failover to standby. The current active will load the new IOS and return in standby mode. Both the Supervisors are running the new release of IOS."

6500 Documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm#wp77819

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Bobby,

Thnks for a quick reply.I have gone through the links and it seems like a straight forward process.One thing I want to clarify, so you mean to say that for 4500 switch even if the they are in redendant sup config the image has to be uploaded to both the sup's flash? I was under the impression that the IOS should be automatically synced just like 6500 switch in a redundant config.I hope I am making some sense here.

Please advice.

Thnks,

Dev

Bobby,

Ignore the previous reply. I understood the point here.I think it is the configuration which is sync'd,IOS is not sync'd.So even in 6500 I will have to download the IOS to both the sup's flash or cf.

Thnks,

Dev

Views
Helpful
Replies