cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

I have downloaded some IOS due to the recently IP v4 problem. Can somebody show me a step by step on how to upgrade the current routers/switches IOS

regards

4 Replies 4

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

1. do a sh flash on the router make sure you have enough memory on the box to hold the new image

2.copy the new image to thre box , copy tftp flash, make sure you can ping your tftp server from your router , cisco has free tftp software if you need it.

3.Once the new image is on your box reload your box. If there is more than one omage in flash you will need to add boot statements to your config.

these boot statements vary from platform to platform.

general syntax is 'boot system flash imagename.bin'

Thanks. This really help. Do I have to log into Console or I can do it over the network ?

Telnet or Console will work.

Also ensure that your router has enough RAM for the image you want to load. On some model routers you wont get prompted to erase the flash and you have to do it manually.

Cheers

mips

Thge safest way would be to have a console conenction , however you can do it via a telnet session , keep in mind you will loose your session until the router comes back up with the new image , again a console connection is the safest.