Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrading memory on 6500

Good afternoon,

I submitted my first question earlier today and got such a great response I am going to try another one!

I am upgrading memory on a few 6500s. I've done this once before and got throught the task successfully, but don't really know what I did!

I first of all backed up all of the configs, then I shut the device down and upgraded the memory. When I booted it back up there was no bootldr on the new memory so it went into I guess Rommon mode. Now, I tried entering in my password and it wouldn't accept it. So, I ended up just hitting the enter key in a few times and was able to get into it and copy the bootldr and image onto the device.

I am looking for a step by step instruction on how to upgrade the memory and an explaination of what is going on with the device when I reload it and there is no bootldr image on the device. What exactly is Rommon?

Thanks!

Colin

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Upgrading memory on 6500

From your post, it appears you tried to upgrade MSFC bootflash and not DRAM. The bootflash should ship with some image(if there was no bootldr there was probably a full IOS image which you could have used to boot the MSFC). You can do a "dir bootflash:" from ROMMON to check for contents of the new bootflash.

ROMMON(ROM Monitor) is basic software which would run on the box which provides you with very limited commands.

Re: Upgrading memory on 6500

Yes, I am upgrading the MSFC Bootflash. The upgraded memory did have a boodldr image on it, but it was not the most current one and the one that my bootldr statement was pointing to. So, somehow I got into ROMMON and was able to load the most current bootldr image to the flash and load configs from there.

When the device boots up and has no bootldr statement or is pointing to an image that is not there (which was my case) does the device automatically go into ROMMON mode? I'm trying to figure out the exact steps I need to take to upgrade the memory and understand the procedure.

Thanks!!!

Colin

Views
Helpful
Replies