Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading the IOS and the interface ACS Software

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am in need of some help. We have Win2000 and AD authenticating our dial in users; we would like to be able to have users dial in to be able to change their passwords on the domain controller as well because we have a set time for password expiration. So I was told I needed to upgrade to a higher IOS 12.2.16 or 12.2.17 because this supports MS-Chap, (MS-Chap would be the only protocol to support this), and also I need to upgrade the ACS to 3.0 or higher. My question is our IOS is 12.0(7) T2 and our ACS is 2.6.4. With this kind of upgrade what hardware adjustments will I need to apply and can I just jump this high or will I need to go one step at a time? I need this to show a proposal for the upgrade. My AS5300 now only has 32MB of memory and I'm pretty sure I will need to upgrade the memory. Can you please advise? Thanks

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To upgrade the AS5300 to 12.2(16) or 17, you need 16 MB flash and atleast 64MB DRAM for IP featureset. So you need to have more memory if you only have 32MB RAM.

Other then memory, there are no other hardware requirements to jump ios from 12.0 to 12.2. You can upgrade the ACS from 2.6.4 to 3.0 without any additional hardware requirement. Pl. visit following url for that

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacs4nt/csnt30/install/install.htm#xtocid13

Not applicable

Now in doing this upgrade will I be able to do Password aging where people will be able to change their passwords and it makes the changes to the domain controller? Also, will the DRAM memory have to be doubled. Meaning,

I have two slots for dram memory according to document #78-4518-02 REV. CO. Do both of these have to have two 32mb to make a total of 64 or just use one?

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES..password againg should change the domin password as well if ACS is using windows database for authentication.

Also use 2x32MB memory.