Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading VIP 240 to allow fast switching

We were seeing fastethernet input data being dropped on a Cisco 7507. We decided to turn off fast switching. This fixed the problem. The VIP card is a VIP 240. Would upgrading to a VIP 3xx help us to be able to turn on fast switching and not get dropped input packets? We have a VIP 250, but I think we would need something higher.

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Upgrading VIP 240 to allow fast switching

Are you running distributed switching on your vip ? You might want to try that if not .

Eventhough I may have sounded correct in my initial question, I guess I am bit confused about what type of switching needs to be used. After looking at some information on fast switching, it doesn't look like it uses the VIP. Whereas, distributed switching does use the VIP. So, I am not sure what the correlation is between the VIP and fast switching. Why would turning off fast switching fix the receive dropped packet input errors? And if fast switching doesn't utilize the VIP, why should we be worried about what VIP card is being used?

Glen, I was wrong about what is being used. Distributed switching is what was causing the packet dropped input errors on the switch. Turning distributed switching off fix the problem. So, this makes more sense regarding my initial question. Will upgrading to a higher VIP2 card allow distributed switching to be turned on without getting input errors?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content