cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

uplinkfast/backbonefast with etherchannel

brian.kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone confirm that uplink/backbonefast works the same on bound etherchannel ports as normal.. ie if I have:

Po25 Root FWD 3 128.808 P2p

Po26 Altn BLK 3 128.816 P2p

If Po25 drops, Po26 will take over, and uplinkfast will help it that much quicker?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can have both uplinkfast and backbonefast on a switch. The switch running uplinkfast will generally have alternate ports (else uplinkfast is helpless), which means that it won't need backbonefast itself. However, it may run bbfast in order to answer the RLQs from a bridge that does not have any alternate port and that lost its root port.

Regards,

Francois

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Yes, it does work the same way. Switch would transition the alternate/blocking etherchannel to forwarding state expeditiously when the primary link goes down.

HTH,

Sundar

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

That may very well be correct. Please check this doc on how uplinkfast works:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094641.shtml

You also mention backbonefast and a word of caution might be suitable here: It is generally not a good idea to use uplinkfast AND backbonefast configured together on the same switch. (I have seen it)

If your network can handle it, Rapid Spanning Tree might be a viable alternative.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks for the article; I've read quite a bit on uplinkfast, but that one breaks it out quite nice. As to the uplinkfast and backbonefast not being used together, what are the implications? Nothing I've seen says they shouldn't be used together.

I'll have to read up more on rstp.

thanks again,

Brian

You can have both uplinkfast and backbonefast on a switch. The switch running uplinkfast will generally have alternate ports (else uplinkfast is helpless), which means that it won't need backbonefast itself. However, it may run bbfast in order to answer the RLQs from a bridge that does not have any alternate port and that lost its root port.

Regards,

Francois

The "uplinkfast bridge" actually not only answers RLQs but may also need to originate some...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: