cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upload a new IOS inside the flash drive

closer152634
Level 1
Level 1

How can i upload a new IOS inside the flash drive using card reader or any method to make the router works again?

Hi Team,

I have cisco 2800 in my office where the IOS is damage cannot boot at all. How can i upload a new IOS inside the flash drive using card reader or any method to make the router works again?

I've try to delete the file using card reader and upload a new IOS, and reboot the router again & console to it. But its not work.

I used = c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M10

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Closer, 

Refer to attached PDF Guide

Make sure your USB format is FAT32 :)

Anyway, since that's a router, use ethernet, don't complicate the recovery process
Though im not saying that it's no possible :P

USB is still an option but just too much steps to be done

View solution in original post

dineshmane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Closer,

With respect to your question please find the below steps .

1. Take correct ios image into laptop.
  2. Conevert USB format into FAT32.
  3. Copy Image to USB Drive.
  4. Insert flash drive into a proper slot of a router.
  5. Use the dev command from ROMMON to see the available devices. It is for verifying the device connected properly.
  6. Use the dir devicename command to ensure the router can read the device.
  7. Once the router completes the boot, copy the image from the USB Flash Drive to the Compact Flash of the router using the copy source destination command.
  8. Verify the copied image using the show flash command. 

Regards,

Dinesh H Mane

Spooster IT Services.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have it right there the way your trying to do it with the card reader , have you verified your md5 incase its corrupt download

did you check you had enough dram and flash to support such a new image as the older routers are usually 256 dram

what are you seeing on the terminal when its trying o boot ? does it go into rommon as you can tftp from there as well ?

Maybe a silly remark, when tftp isn't working make sure your firewall on your laptop or pc is disabled.

chinmoy.boruah1
Level 1
Level 1

I too have tried uploading IOS in 2821 the very same way. But sadly it didnt happened. Better you try XMODEM or TFTPDNLD.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15085-xmodem-generic.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/12714-76.html

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I think I recall the CF used in a 2800 might be dependent on its capacity and how it was formatted.  I.e. using any CF in an external card reader might not work.

I also recall, some 2800s could boot directly from a USB stick, but there too, only certain USB sticks worked (like Cisco's).  Direct booting from the USB stick also required a boot ROM that supported it (earlier 2800 could be upgraded by flashing their boot ROM).

Does the 2800 boot into ROMMOM?  If so, can you "see" files on the CF?  If so, you can tell it to try to boot one.

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Closer, 

Refer to attached PDF Guide

Make sure your USB format is FAT32 :)

Anyway, since that's a router, use ethernet, don't complicate the recovery process
Though im not saying that it's no possible :P

USB is still an option but just too much steps to be done

1. Obtain an USB flash drive less than 2G and format as FAT
  2. Copy a valid cisco IOS to the USB flash drive
  3. Insert the USB flash drive into USB slot and turn on the router, the router will detect the IOS from USB flash drive and load the IOS from there.

dineshmane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Closer,

With respect to your question please find the below steps .

1. Take correct ios image into laptop.
  2. Conevert USB format into FAT32.
  3. Copy Image to USB Drive.
  4. Insert flash drive into a proper slot of a router.
  5. Use the dev command from ROMMON to see the available devices. It is for verifying the device connected properly.
  6. Use the dir devicename command to ensure the router can read the device.
  7. Once the router completes the boot, copy the image from the USB Flash Drive to the Compact Flash of the router using the copy source destination command.
  8. Verify the copied image using the show flash command. 

Regards,

Dinesh H Mane

Spooster IT Services.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: