Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upstream Rate Limiting - is it possible on 7200 HSSI?

I am looking for a cheaper option to a dedicated network management box like packeteer or WiseWan 401.

I would like to know if Upstream rate limiting is possible on a 7200 router. I have no access on our ISP's router so I need to apply something on my side.

Rate limiting on Protocols and IP addresses.

Any other solutions I may have overlooked/not found?

Thanks.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: Upstream Rate Limiting - is it possible on 7200 HSSI?

Hi,

Yes it is possible. Use "rate-limit output ..." command under the interface with its parameters.

Good luck

You can apply Committed Access Rate (CAR) based on an access-list :

rate-limit output access-group ....bandwidth and actions parameters...

Policing is too available with the Class Based Weighted Fair Queueing mechanism : you can set up different classes (based on different ACL) and apply on each a dedicated bandwitdh policy (rate limiting, shaping, ..)

class name

match access-group ..

policy-map name

class name

bandwidth policy ...

Generic Traffic Shapping is also available. You can create diffrent group (based on ACL) with different bandwidth parameters,

traffic-shape group 170 ...bandwidth parameters...

Thanks for the advice, but the thing I am trying to do is limit traffic coming towards me.

I have a salesman on my back trying to sell a device which he claims can do Upstream rate limiting.

I would like to know how he does it as I need rate-limiting on our satellite link urgently.

Unless I have a 'dam' upstream limiting the amount of information coming towards me I end up with some customers (IP range) chewing up the satellite link completely while others get very poor performance.

Personally I think the only way to do it is to use CAR on the ISP router (I have no access to that) or I put this 'device' (bandwidth manager) right next to the ISP router with a higher speed link to the ISP to give me space for dropped packets - packets which are at present being dropped at our router.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.