Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

URGENT HELP-CONFIGURE SWITCH 3560

Dear All,

I have here in my company 25 Cisco Switch 3560 .

as i know, i will configure the Switch with the Basic configuration like Hostname & IP-Address - & Gateway.

My 2 question is :-

1- if i configure the switch with the Basic Configuration like IP-Address & Subnet mask & So on , where its saved on the Switch Exactly ?

2- instead of have the 25 Switch in-front of me , and assign each switch his configuration like IP-Address & all the Things, is there any way to copy the Configurations from the switch which i configured on the Text file & then on each switch i will modify the Text file which include the configuration for that switch ( New configuration ) & then apply to that switch ( the New one ) ?

if i can do like that , can i & HOW CAN I DO IT , PLEASE HELP ME BY WRITING THE COMMAND WHICH I NEED TO FOLLOW IT ?

Thanks .

Rania.

3 REPLIES

Re: URGENT HELP-CONFIGURE SWITCH 3560

Rania,

1. Switch saves it to its NRAM as startup-config. It only saves it after you issue " write mem " on #sign.If you dont save it and reload the switch it will loose it configuration.

2. You can do it by 2 ways:

A) TFTP the config file/text file to flash of the switch using command " copy tftp flash: " and then specifiying the TFTP server IP and file name. and then copy the config file to running-config using command " copy flash: running-config " and then save it.

B) Copy the config from switch to tftp using comand : copy flash:config.text tftp " specficy the TFTP ip address. Open the file and change teh config as you want.Then either youc an again TFTP it to switch and follow the step A or just copy the config and go to config t and rightclik+paste to host. This way is easy and you can copy teh configs on each switch accordingly.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Rania,

When you just configure the switch all the config is in DRAM (running config) but when you do wr me it is saved in NVRAM (startup config).

What you can do is write all the commands for ip address and the configs what you want on wordpad and from there you can modify the lines what you want for each switch and just copy it and paste on the switch global config mode.

Remember you have to create all the vlans manually in vlan database or you can configure one switch as VTp server and another switch as VTP client and all the vlans will be synched to the switches which are in VTP client mode.

To configure ip address

int vlan 1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no shut

to configure hostname

config t

hostname

This link is a complete config guide which will guide you with all what you want to configure on 3560 switch

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12119ea1/3560scg/index.htm

HTH

Ankur

Hi Rania,

The Configuration is saved in the Non Volatile Memory. It is the config.text in the flash:.

You can just configure 1 switch and use the same config on the rest of the switches. Make sure you change the IP address on each of the swith otherwise you'll have a address conflict.

Save the config on a note pad. Put the switch in Global Config mode and copy -> paste the config from notepad to the switch.

Regards,

S.Usmani.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content