Views
Helpful
Replies

URGENT: Rtr1 AUX port conection to Rt2 Console port and Vice Vesra

T.SHAHI
Level 1
Level 1

TO all,

I have an Engineer on site today, to perform an install and it is URGENT that I get the following working for extra resilience. Spent a lot of time prep yesterday for PPP callback from UK to Belgium, and now this task is the problem!

Having trouble getting the following connections to work for extra resilience!

RTR1- AUX port ----> Console of RTR2

RTR2- AUX port ----> Console of RTR1

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

jgross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

if you connect an AUX Port from RTR1 to Console on RTR2, you can connect to the console of RTR2 bei telneting to Port 2001.

i.e.

RTR1# telnet 2001

will lead you to the console of RTR2. Instead of the loopback of RTR1 you can use any active Interface of RTR1.

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

This will work fine (assuming you allow telnet to the routers and have a client that can select the appropriate TCP port) to give you console access to each router if your have access to the other router. This assumes that by "extra resilience" you mean console access over the network. Make sure you turn off HW handshake on the AUX ports, the console ports don't even have the wires connected, which can lead to inconsistent results.

If by "extra resilience" you are looking for a backup path for data, it will not work. Only the AUX ports are capable of carrying data. There are example configurations on both CCO and my web site. Configuring back-to-back async without modems is a little tricky and the correct selection of "modem mode" seems to be IOS release dependent.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: