Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

URT and laptops

We are going to implement URT (user registration tool) in our network and we are only going to use MAC-VLAN associations (because we are using thin clients (Compaq T20 and T30) and user based does not work.

The problem is that there are mobile users who need to access the network on all locations with their laptops. I do not want to keep some ports open for them, because otherwise the whole concept of URT breaks up.

Is there anybody who had the same problem and I am curious how you solved it/

3 Replies 3

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

From a Cisco Documentation, "If the user has a mobile computer, such as a laptop, the user can connect to any supported switch port and be connected to the correct VLAN and subnet. You must define the associated port as dynamic: if the port has a static VLAN assignment, URT does not override that assignment."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2136/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087823.html

Here is an excellent documentation on what URT can do for your network.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2136/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080086fc4.html

THNX, for the info. The problem we are having is that a mobile user has to log on on different locations. We are using VTP domains and you can only associate a MAC address to one VTP domain.

So if I assign MAC address 00-00-39-01-CB-33 to vtp domain COA-CB vlan 10 and I need to work on another location with the VTP domain STW, I need to re-associate my MAC address.

Hope you can help !

Not sure if you have this figured out yet, we have it setup for laptop users to connect on 4 different sites in 4 different vtp domains. I set it up by importing our 4 vtp domains and all their vlans in to the Urtadmin server directly from our CiscoWorks2000 lms, you can also import from a file in csv format too. Once you have all your vtp domains in the urtadmin gui its pretty straightforward to set up login and mac security violations vlans for each vtp domain. Hope this helps