cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use ISDN (WIC-1B) for PSTN Dial-in on 1721

pavlosd
Level 2
Level 2

I was wondering if it is possible to have a Router (i.e. Cisco 1721 with an ISDN interface card (WIC-1B) and Dial-into it using a PSTN modem (v.90).

If yes, how?

Reagrds

5 Replies 5

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

No, this is not possible on a 1700 as you describe.

For analog dialin over ISDN, you need a 3600 router with digital modems (e.g. NM-6DM) and a BRI or PRI interface.

The alternative is to install an analog modem, either internally in the router, e.g. wic-1am or wic-2am in 1700 or higher, NM-8AM in a 2600 or higher.

Or install an external modem connected to the aux port (or to an async port, e.g. the wic-2a/s).

hth

Herbert

Suppose that I have a spare 3600 router, how would I proceed/configure it?

Regards.

You would have to install a BRI module and a digital modem module, this page has a sample configuration: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk801/tk379/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093c6e.shtml

hth

Herbert

Please note that even with a c3600 we cannot get modem (analog) calls onto the internal digital modems (MICA) when using a WIC BRI card, it's possible only with a NM BRI or PRI card.

Thanks, Mak.

thanks guys.

I'll keep it mind and give it a try at a later stage.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: