cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User/Chassis IP address allocation

austin.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction, I am trying to specify what IP address a dial-in user will get based on his username and the chassis he dials-in on. We have two 3640 RAS boxes on seperate sites and users dial-in to either. At the moment they are allocated an IP address from the local pool from the RAS box they dial into, however we now need to take a subset of these users and give them an address from a different range. I can't seem to find a way of allocating an IP address based on their username and the box they dial into, TACACS will let me do it based on username, but they will get the same address whatever box they dial into which (I think...) will cause some routing issues! Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

tcross3
Level 1
Level 1

One way you can do it is to use a radius server, With Cisco ACS you can set up user groups and the set the groups to use certain address. For example;

user-a dials router-a the radius server has group-a and group-b user-a get and address for group-a pool 10.10.10.x. This would be a easy way to do it.

Hope this helps

Tom Ross

how do you specify two ip address ranges for a group? Using your example, user-a may dial into router-a or router-b, depending on which one he dials will have to determine which pool of ip addresses he will use, which is causing me a slight headache!