Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UserTracker and UTlite config.

I am looking for the detailed instructions for using UTlite for discovering UserNames with the UT tool. I cannot find the detail instructions on how to setup the script on the PDC/BDC and an explanation of what exactly the script is doing.

9 Replies 9

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml has a section on UTlite unless you already have seen it. Also if you search for UTLite in the on-line help within Campus Manager, you'll see much more info on this script.

Ok that will help. Next ?? User Tracker is not resolving host names nor is it showing device names of my switches.

I can do a reverse dns lookup up from the server and can resolve the name. If there is a problem with this service, will I need to fix it inside the CW2K app or is this a OS problem?

CDP is working but I am still not seeing device names of my switches.

hostname requires that nslookup from name to ip/ip to name resolve correctly as mentioned in the above tech tip.

nslookup from the server CLI works fine, but UserTracker is not picking up the info?

Then this may require some additional troubleshooting. Better to involve TAC further.

OK, clarify something for me. UT is also not pulling in the device or switch name into the db. Does UT also use DNS to populate the switch names as well, or does it use the CDP info for this.

Thanks

UT gets it's info from Campus db. ANI reads the ARP table from the Layer 3 devices it discovered to map the MAC addresses to IP addresses. If UserTracker is showing the MAC addresses, but the IP address and hostname fields are empty, chances are that ANI did not discover the default gateway of the host correctly. The discovery makes a system call to the server to resolve the IP addresses to hostnames.

The MAC is recorded just fine, the IP address is displayed just fine, the "Hostname" of the PC(s) are not displayed, but are substituted with the host IP again. The Switch IP(s) are displayed fine, but the device name (switch name) is replaced with the switch IP again.

ARP worksfine to discover MAC-to-IP, the reverse DNS IP-to-Hostname does not work in CW2K, but works from the Command line.

How does CW2K find switch names? The documents make it sound like it uses CDP to pull that info into CM?

On Ethernet devices, ANI reads the CdpCacheEntry table from CISCO-CDP-MIB to learn the neighbor table. On ATM devices, the neighbors are learned through the atmInterfaceConfEntry from the ATM-MIB. After discovering the devices, ANI tries to resolve the IP address of each device to its hostnames using Domain Name Server (DNS) or the host file. The reverse name resolution uses the IP address that ANI has found in the Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) cache when first discovering the device. This works fine if you have configured your DNS with a reverse lookup for all the IP addresses on every interface (router-serial1.cisco.com). However, the reverse name resolution will fail if the IP address is not configured in DNS.

To resolve this, Campus Manager release 3.1 and later also uses the sysName as alternative to DNS. ANI reads the sysName in an SNMP request to the device and tries to resolve the value of sysName to an IP address. Campus first checks if this IP address exists on the device and then tries to resolve it to a hostname in a reverse name resolution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: