cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a 2511 as a reverse telnet device

jerry
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 2511's that I would like to use to telnet to console ports on devices for remote managment. Most of the end devices are Cisco. I can easily talk to the Aux ports on any of the Cisco routers, but I cannot get the console ports to talk. This is not a problem for the devices that actually have both, but I do have a few (firewalls, Local directors, etc.) that only have a console port. Any suggestions?

TIA

Jerry

4 Replies 4

kminihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jerry

I've had the same problem, and asked a friend of mine, who is a CCIE, whether this can be done with the 2500 series. He has told me that it CAN'T be done with the 2500 routers. You can NOT get access to the console in this manner. He advised me to use the aux port

Sorry about that!

Kevin

jgizel
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar configuration, 2511 with a PIX, LD and 7206. For the console ports, you have to use the roll-over flat cable (or I may have it reversed and you have to use the stright-thru), but the point is use the opposite of what you have on the Aux ports. Despite the other response, a 2511 to Console ports does work!

Hi jgizel

Was just wondering whether you had managed to connect to the 2511 console port, or to the PIX and 7206 console ports?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's trying to connect to the console ports on a number of 2500 series routers, from another 2511? (i.e. he's going to use the 2511 as a terminal server, and access other 2500 series routers console ports). I've also successfully managed to connect the console ports of several 7200 routers to a 2511 acting as a terminal server, but so far, have been unable to connect the same 2511 to the consoles of a number of 2500's.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi

I'd like to say a big thanks to jgizel. I managed to get this working as well now. I had to use a straight through cable from my patch panel to the console port on the 2500 I wanted access to. I was using the cisco console roll-over cable all along, until I saw th email from jgizel

Thanks for the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: