cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using an NM-8E1-IMA module

tkadri
Level 1
Level 1

I hope I'm in the right forum here. Here is my situation: we have a central 3661 router loaded with NM-4T serial modules - essentially providing connections to 24 remote sites at the moment. The connections are via leased lines from the local service provider and the connection provided by them is a V.35 interface.

As you can imagine, 24 V.35 cables coming out of this router is a complete mess and we have run out of space for adding more modules/connections. There must be a better solution for this. I have been told that frame relay is a best option, but having discussed this with the service provider it seems that the costs are going to escalate quite dramatically if we move to frame relay.

Another option which I want to ask about here is the possibility of channelising E1's or larger pipes into the sizes that we need? If so, what modules support this function? Are talking about the 2-port channelised E1 modules, or can I use an 8-port E1 IMA module (NM-8E1-IMA)?

I hope you'll be able to help me on this - bit stumped. Thanks...

Tariq.

1 Reply 1

doug.lockwood
Level 1
Level 1

Several thoughts:

If point to point circuits are less expensive than Frame relay, I would not think that am ATM module would be a viable solution.

You did not mention the speeds of the 24 circuits to the remote sites. If they are DDS (56k), a channelized T-1 or E-1 is a shoe in.

I found a channelized E3 card for the 7200 series,

PA-MC-E3. It seems that I could not find a channelized E3 card for the 3600 series. If you had 24 E-1 sites, the channelized E-3 card would be a great fit. However, it appears that it requires stepping up to the 7200 at your central site.

Regards;

Doug Lockwood